Skip to main content

I have a very particular set of skills...

 


In my younger and more vulnerable days my headteacher gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.

“Whenever you feel like criticizing management,” he told me, “just remember that all the teachers in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.”

As I work now in the UK, this piece of advice seems more and more pertinent nowadays. The educational system here seems to become a growing mass of tangled mess.  When I reflect on my previous school, I recall the days I was happy to go to work and to that happy place where teachers really felt lucky to be there. Now, I am in a tiny school in the middle of Wessex where the miserable weather kills every hope of a dry camping holiday and the chippy becomes the only bright place where most of my married colleagues meet on a Friday afternoon to treat their partners and kids to a Haddie that is now probably imported from Sweden.

But I am digressing...

Our current Headteacher, Mr Zimmer (not his real name) has had it! He is furious that his staff are not being gentle on his leadership group (no more in capitals for obvious reasons). I imagine they felt betrayed by the very people they have been carefully avoiding for weeks. They did everything possible to respond to our concerns, complaints, mumbling and the occasional nervous fits. They sent us hundreds of confused emails in order to reassure us of their presence.. through Google forms and Excel sheets. 

The fact that someone is 'hiding' behind a keyboard and voicing the discontent of some teachers (old and new) is such a cowardly act. Why the secrecy? They could have marched up to the line managers, shared their concerns for a place they do love and value and got themselves squarely fired. What could possibly go wrong when you express your discontent through a poll or a public platform? Hold a whole staff meeting to scold everyone? Threaten with job loss? Call the police? To say what? My own staff are not happy and they need to be searched for legitimate concerns? My leadership group are so fragile they need to be protected from the people they are supposed to be helping and supporting?

The search for this secret teacher will probably end in a crisis for everyone involved. Wanting to reveal the teacher's identity or stop the legitimate education-related 'writings' should not be the focus of management. If it does anything, it will attract more attention to this person in incognito and to their bored mind. Obviously, they have plenty of time on their hands to write about matters that concern everyone in this tiny school in the middle of nowhere. 

So where do we go from here? Focus on actual matters and address them or just continue to isolate yourself from the -so far- silent majority? 

Unfortunately, we do not seem to have a Borad of Governors like most schools. Ours seem to be amazingly unavailable or left in the dark or even accomplices to what is happening. If we had any, surely they would have heard about the intimidating nature of some individuals and contacted the staff. But what do I know? I am just waiting for my medium haddock and one portion of chips and feeling warm in the country of the free.

As to the secret teacher..

... I will find you!

 


Comments